Sunday, May 27, 2007

JAR, Los Angeles, CA

Jar is a modern day chophouse that focuses on American comfort food, but with an Asian flair. The restaurant is decorated in rich shades of brown, and infused with the artistry and flair of a 1940s Supper Club. The menu is simple but interesting, and has a nice balance of East-meets-West selections that compliment each other nicely. Written up in almost every magazine, we couldn’t pass up an opportunity to try another one of LA’s top steakhouses.


Lobster-stuffed Squash Blossoms

tempura, ponzu


Although I’ve had squash blossoms, Suni has never tasted them and what could be better for his first time than tempura fried, lobster-stuffed ones? The lobster stuffing was fantastic, and the tempura batter was crispy but not greasy. I think these qualified as a perfect introduction to squash blossoms, and I’m sure I can convince Suni to order them again, even though they do have the word "squash" in the title.


Duck fried rice



I was first introduced to Jar when I was having Thai food with a family member and she stated that they had the best duck fried rice she’s ever had. Suni and I love duck fried rice, and although it didn’t go with rest of our meal at all, we had to order it. The verdict? I’m not sure I’d go so far as to say it was better than the one Chan Dara USED to have, but it was in fact very tasty. Much lighter than the traditional greasy duck fried rice, Jar’s version was mild and full of fresh ingredients.


Jar’s Signature Pot Roast

carrots, caramelized onions

It always catches my eye when a restaurant has a “signature” dish. Even if it wasn’t Jar’s specialty, I probably still would have ordered their pot roast, which for me is one of the ultimate comfort foods. Moist, rich, and full of meaty flavor, this dish definitely hit the spot. The caramelized onions were a great addition as well. I only wish I had some fluffy bread or mashed potatoes to soak up all the yummy sauce.

Rib Eye


Before I started writing this blog entry, I had to ask Suni for his comments on his Rib Eye. He didn’t quite remember the dish - not because it wasn’t memorable, but because face it, we eat a lot of meat. But after he looked at the picture, the memories came rushing back and he immediately let out a Homer Simpson-like drooling moan. Although simple, this steak was incredibly flavorful, and definitely on-par with some of our favorite steakhouses.

Banana Cream Pie
vanilla ice cream, caramel sauce

They say that your taste buds change every 7 years. Anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I used to hate foods that contained bananas. Anything beyond a plain banana or my mom’s famous banana bread was completely off limits. But lately I have started to love banana-based deserts – and Suni was more than willing to forgo the usual chocolate for something more interesting. Jar’s banana cream pie was absolutely perfect – a rich, creamy filling with fresh bananas, surrounded by a flaky crust and topped with homemade caramel and vanilla ice cream. We literally used our fingers to scrape up every last drop.

No comments: